VERY POWERFUL editor. I try to track down hints and tips here.
- remove empty lines: :g/^$/ d
- search: /text finds text
- find next: n
- find prev: N
- insert characters from line aboove: Ctrl-Y
- delete everything between "": di"
- open in a tab: :tabe
- :set fileformat=unix
- convert many files from something to utf-8:
- vim *.java
- :set fenc=utf-8
- pipe shell output to buffer: :r! (found here)
- substitute something with carriage returns:
s/<something>/CtrlVCtrlM/, where CtrlVCtrlM are two control characters in a row: Ctrl-V and Ctrl-M. link